I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Sun

FPD #8: Sun
I tried to find a positive in regards to the sun. I'm not loving it so much right now. But, with the avocado tree, it doesn't seem so bad for a moment.

It is SO hot and dry here. Seriously dry. And I am a West Texas girl saying that. And, I am West Texas girl who was home during the hot drought of this past year. Granted, it is not near that hot here. But the dryness is way more intense here. I can't explain it, but I'm sure it has something to do with the sun. Right? The only thing good I can find with the sun right now is that it is somehow helping my avocados grow!! (That has to be the case, right?)

It is mind-blowing how quickly things dry up here. I am glad tress don't die so easily. Everything else we plant is pretty much gone, or will be soon, but the avocado tree....it's still good! Yay! And when things do dry up here, it affects everyone's lives in very real ways. Water sources dry up and food simply stops producing, and it's not like America where you can still get food at any old store. People suffer in very real ways. They cannot feed their families. People starve. Animals starve.

The sun. It can be pretty harsh! But at the same time, it's life-giving. Isn't that true for so many tough points of our lives? But things rooted deep will continue to grow through the drought and dry times. And eventually, the rains come, God refreshes, and life goes on. And hopefully, we have grown through it.

(And had I known what I would write about the sun today, I would have taken pictures of the dry, dusty Nakuru so you could see how *uh-hm* lovely it is.)
post signature

1 comments:

LeAnne said...

I thought I would leave you a comment because I read your blog every day and rarely do I leave a note (unless, of course, I might win a prize, like naming a goat!) . Your story affects me in very real ways...like making me smile at your Julia stories, and inspiring me to do the "February photo of the day". Your blog has a wider impact too...my whole bible study group is reading "one Thousand Gifts" & loving it (which is great because we all disliked the last book we studied). So thank you for sharing your story --- A wish for many blessings today! LeAnne Stevens (Susan's aunt)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...