I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Monday, February 27, 2012

A First Birthday....at 15

Maina turned 15 years old and celebrated his birthday for the very first time! He was elated!
Kenyans do not really celebrate birthdays. Though  there is a growing population of Kenyans who are more Westernized and are beginning to do such things, the average Kenyan - the vast majority of Kenyans - would never dream of having a party to simply celebrate their birthday. In fact, many Kenyans have no idea when their birthday is. 
None of my boys knew their birthdays when they came to live with me. We have tracked down their birth certificates over the past few months. The day I told them their actual birthdate was a like a gift itself. A few of them really asked “I have a birthday?” Not only did they not know their birthdays, a few of them were off on their ages by a few years! It turns out that Maina, who thought he was 12, is actually turning 15. And Patrick, who thought he was 15, is actually turning 19 this year!
Maina has been looking forward to this day for weeks! His first birthday cake....
His first birthday party....
His first birthday presents....


And he got to celebrate it all with his new brothers. What a joy it was to tell Maina that his life is worth celebrating! We rejoice ~ with hamburgers, fries, birthday cake, balloons, birthday banners and presents ~ because he was born! 
Thank you to those who give to and support His Cherished Ones! Maina’s life has ben changed because of you! 


post signature

5 comments:

swonch said...

Absolutely priceless photos and memories! Love them!

swonch said...

Absolutely priceless photos and memories! Love them!

Elizabeth said...

wow, way to make me cry...miss you and these boys.

Jolene said...

What a beautiful soul he is! :)

Unknown said...

I just come across your blog while looking at Minnie Mouse birthday party stuff for my daughter JULIA! After looking at your daughter Julia's minnie mouse party I started reading many of your blog post. I am so touched to see what God is doing through you and this organization, His Cherished Ones.
This post, "A First Birthday...at 15" brought me to tears. I have always believed that birthdays should be celebrated and I am so glade you have given these children their birthdays back! I pray God continues to bless you, your family, and this organization.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...