I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Passport Process Update

I just wanted to update on the process of getting Julia's passport. I came to Nairobi on Saturday in hopes of getting it. I had been told it was ready. Of course, in true Kenyan fashion, it was not. I am still in Nairobi.

I finally made headway (a bit) yesterday and was told of yet another letter than I needed from the Dept of Gender and Children. Apparently Julia's file had been put aside, questioned for child trafficking. I still find it interesting that they flag cases who are actually applying for passports and have tons of travel permission documentation from the courts and Children's Departments, those trying to go through the proper channels for travel as child trafficking risks. Aren't those the ones who try to sneak over the borders in the night??!? Anyway, to clear that up, I have to go get an additional "letter of no objection" tomorrow. Today was a national holiday, so even though I was not making progress with the passport today, I stayed in Nairobi rather than traveling back to Nakuru through a hundred police checks just to come back tomorrow.

So....tomorrow I will go for the letter. I have been told that it should be issued immediately and I will be able to wait for it. Chances are, I will actually have to go back for it on Friday. :-( Either way, when I receive that letter, I will take it back to Immigration. Again, I have been told that we will then be issued the passport. And again, we'll see!

Best scenario possible:
1. Go to Department of Gender and Children to get the letter tomorrow morning.
2. Actually GET the letter tomorrow morning.
3. Take the letter to Immigration tomorrow.
4. Get the passport tomorrow or Friday morning at the latest.

Then the following can take place:
5. Once passport is in hand, fill out the visa application online. (This take 2-4 hours and has many technical difficulties - warnings of which are even on the Embassy website!)
6. After filling the application, print partial receipt to use to pay application fee.
7. Go to one of two bank locations (both in Nairobi) to pay visa application fee.
8. Return to online application to input bank payment receipt number. (This can take up to 24 hours to be effective, so THIS is the point when I can go back to Nakuru.)
9. THEN I can book a visa appointment with the US Embassy!!!! (As of now there is about a 40 day wait time for  an appointment, so the sooner we get to this point, the better!)

So, I am in Nairobi now to work on obtaining Julia's passport. Once we get it, we will still stay in Nairobi while I do the online application so that I can go immediately to the bank to pay the fee so that we can book the appointment. I am so glad that I have a great staff who is taking care of things at home. They are doing a great job....I think! :-)

Prayers are, once again, greatly appreciated! I would really like to go to America. Julia would, too.

post signature

1 comments:

Alaine said...

You, Julia, and the process are continually in my prayers. God is working! Alaine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...