I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Lala Salama

"Sleep Well" in Kiswahili


"In peace, I will lie down and sleep
for you alone, O Lord
make me dwell in safety."
(Psalm 4:8)

This is what I am praying over my little girl tonight.

We have been having some sleep issues in our house since I came back from America. There is a little mix of security issues after my being gone so long, a new bedtime phase, and some typical two-year-old.

I've had enough child psychology classes and watched enough "Super Nanny" to understand the need for routine, consistency, setting boundaries and following through. Yeah, I get all that. Heck, I even taught parenting classes! Yes, ironic, I know. I taught In-Home Parent Training for parents of children with autism. I know the right things to do. 

But those things that seemed so logical and easy when I was spouting off my bits of "professional" advise and confidently (or foolishly) giving tips and to-do's to other parents when I had yet to experience them with my own child now somehow seem to rip my heart out and scratch at the soul of my being. Yep, "easier said than done" could come into play here.

So, as we continue to wade through this phase, I pray over my little girl tonight. And I sing our bedtime songs over and over in my head (and occasionally find myself singing them out loud, too). 

I love our bedtime songs. You want to hear them? Pretend I'm singing them to you..... :-) 

Goodnight Julia

"Goodnight, Julia. Sleep tight, Julia.
Jesus keep your peace.
The God above is a God of love
So little girls sleep in peace.

If ever you should wake up in the middle of the night,
Remember God is watching you, so everything's alright."


Goodnight, My Father

"Goodnight, my Father
Put thoughts of Jesus in my head
Holy Spirit, comfort me
Put angels all around my bed

And fill my dreams with the things that please You
I want to hear your sweet voice; It is so peaceful

Goodnight, my Father,
Put thoughts of Jesus in my head.
Holy Spirit, comfort me
Put angels all around my bed"

(This was the song we sang every night at camp when I was growing up. Elementary One-Way at Ceta Canyon. Great memories and words of truth that have stuck with me since I was nine years old.)

So....here's to a good night's sleep!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

It is hard to be the mom during the twos. It is hard to be hard on them sometimes, at least in the beginning. There might come a day, like it came to me, when you look at her and think, "I HAVE to be hard on her for her own good." I could just see her being another out of control teenager and it being my fault. So the time outs came quicker and longer and sometimes she even got a small spank on the thigh, but she understands now that Mommy is in charge not her. Not that she is a perfect angel everyday, but she is a good kid who understands the family hierarchy! Good luck. I'm praying for you and your Center!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...