I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday's Favorite - Happy Girl Hair

Today is definitely a "Who Wudda Thought?" moment. My favorite new blog find of the week is....

Basically, it's a white mama's guide for how to do black baby girl's hair! Who would have thought that I would even have the need to want or find such a blog, and especially to be so excited about it! But I am oh-so-excited to learning some daily routine tips, detangling tips, and more about coconut oil!

I describe hair time as trying to comb through velcro! Not fun. Not easy. Black hair is not the same as white hair! I've only done my kind of hair my whole life. And Julia's hair is NOT like mine! I know the basics...it can't be washed often, don't force the tangles out, etc. But how to really care for it....no. The way Kenyans would care for baby hair and the way Americans would do it are different. When I ask my staff what I need to be doing, they say I don't need to do anything except put baby oil in it. And their answer to everything hair is to put braids in (extensions with beads). 

She wakes up in the morning looking like this....

Lots of little balled up strands of hair with little fuzzies from her blankets stuck in it.

We comb through it and put "hair food" (recommended treatment for this area) or coconut oil in it, trying to attain a look somewhat like this....




At least a somewhat combed-through look with a little shine. Dry hair isn't good. And you can see that she has little bald spots on the side of her head, poor, sweet baby.

So, I am looking forward to perusing through my newfound favorite blog for some white-mama-black-baby hair tips. And it will be great when I go to America again and can actually know what products to get! Most Kenyans think I am crazy to leave her hair natural and not put braids in it. Granted, it is MUCH easier with braids and can be really cute, but she's still a baby and I like her little puff head!

While I was in America, Julia did get braids. I was so surprised to see her with long hair at the airport! She was a little cutie, but it made her look so old! I did enjoy the two weeks with no velcro-combing though!

So, my favorite new blog may not be of interest to most of you, but I'm sure looking forward to learning a few things! Get ready for hair time, Juju! :-)

2 comments:

Terry said...

Your are right, it does make her look a year older.

Terry

Jen said...

Oh my goodness, she looks so grown up!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...