I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

We have all seen the books like “1000 Places to Visit Before You Die” and “1000 Things to Do Before You Die.” Could any of them compare to “One Thousand Gifts”?
 A book that is sweeping Christian circles has been sweeping my mind with a refreshing anticipation of what the Lord has to offer. I have been so incredibly encouraged by this book and just can’t help but share, even though I know that half the blogging world is doing the same. 

So much of our lives are often spent looking for more. More of what? More of the things we think will bring us happiness, peace or contentment. But what if the possibility that the fulness of life and all that God has to offer us is already within our reach, right in front of us. What if what we think we are looking for isn’t really want we want?

Always desiring to know God more, to know the depths of His love and purposes for my life, I sit in the quiet morning hours before Julia wakes and have my time in His presence. Sometimes being overwhelmingly filled with His peace. Other times, going through the motions of reading and writing, trying to check off my boxes before I hear the little one call, “Mama....Mama....it’s morning time.” But every time, with the subtle push to know God more. Then I leave that chair, go hug my baby and get her out of bed, and go on about my day. I continue my conversation with the Lord through the day, sometimes more shallow and surfacey, sometimes with deep connection. 

What I do not do is recognize Him in all things. That He is all things. That He gives all things. And in giving all things, He offers us life. Abundantly. In the next few days I will share an amazing thought process that was revealed to me through this book. But skipping past that process, I land at the point of looking at the world around me with different eyes, or wanting to, at least. My goal is to not leave God behind in the red chair , wrapped in the fuzzy warm brown blanket when I get up in the morning. I want to see Him in my life, giving me the gifts He has for me. He longs to lavish His love on His children. And He already has. Are my open to see them today? 

I could go to one thousand places before I die. I can do one thousand amazing things before I die. But will my eyes be open to seeing the one thousand gifts He gives me each day?

Like so many people “out there” in the Christian woman blog world, I want to look for those gifts. Every day. I may not share them all here, but I want to share some. It is a way of being accountable. A way of giving something to my daughter when she is old enough to see and understand. A way of highlighting the fact that God is in this place that is sometimes so filled with turmoil. A way of consciously recognizing and acknowledging that He is here, arms full of gifts. 

As I posted the other day, I pray that I never take for granted the simple (or big) gift I have of being in this amazing place. And this is where my list of one thousand gifts begins. 

  1. Hearing those priceless words, “I love you, Mama.”
  2. Elephants on the horizon.
  3. Wind blowing in my face as we roam across grassy plains.
  4. Diet Coke fizzing up in a cold glass of ice.
  5. Sunset in the Maasai Mara.



post signature

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...