I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Productive Day?

I would say so! And a fun day, too!


After ten years, my best friend just rolls her eyes when I voice my plan for a long list kind of productive day, especially if it involves the kind of thing I always say I want to do, but never really do. That would be something like plan ahead and cook several meals to have in the freezer. In theory, that doesn't sound too hard, but I am notorious for wanting to do that, but never actually doing it. And though it is a normal thing for many women, I just never follow through and do it. So, today is documenting my follow-through!! :-)


And this cooking ahead thing would come in soooo handy here, this place where everything must be done from scratch. I can't just open the freezer and pull out a bag of veggies to defrost and add to a casserole. You have to plan ahead for vegetables because they are fresh and have to be soaked and/or rinsed in dye to kill germs before peeling, etc. 

Finding boneless chicken breasts is like finding hidden treasure in this town, and so expensive I usually can't afford to buy it when I do find it. 

There is no such thing as a back-up, junk food kind of lunch like Hot Pockets either. Oh, how I would love to have some Bagel Bites to heat up for Friday movie nights. That reminds me of my growing up years. :-) 

And tortillas!! Oh, tortillas!! What I wouldn't give to have store-bought tortillas!!! Fajitas, burritos, quesadillas! Mmm!

So, enough ranting. I just had to prove to Kris and my mom that I did actually follow through with a day of cooking ahead! And it is no easy task when making pizza pockets involves making the dough and bean & beef burritos involves making the tortillas. (Although I did cheat a bit on this one and used left-over tortillas from earlier. And to see that homemade tortilla process you can CLICK HERE). 

The menu included a few thing that I didn't take pictures of. Oatmeal for breakfast, cornbread for a treat for the girls at the baby house, (They love cornbread! They eat is as a dessert.) and banana bread.


Then, pizza pockets.....



And baby bean & beef burritos....


And corn dog muffins....


And with help from my special little girl.... 



1 comments:

Rebekah said...

You've done a ton of baking! How fun that Julia can now "help" in the kitchen!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...