I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Think I'm Getting the Hang of this Tortilla Thing


I'm a Texas girl. And I live in Africa. That's not a good match for finding good Tex-Mex. And what good Texas girl can survive for long without good Tex-Mex?

And though I have considered myself pretty much a novice in the kitchen, I'm learning to make due in this world of sukuma wiki and ugali by stretching my wings and busting out the flour and baking powder to make the staple part of any Mexican food meal - the TORTILLA!  Oh, how I have missed tortillas!


Well, the common thought would have been to try making tortillas two years ago. But like I said, I'm not much for making from scratch. 

Maybe it is living in a third-world country that is quite different my "homeland" that drives me to desperate measures, or maybe it is the fact that I am so close to going home for a short visit that I can almost taste the fajitas looming in the somewhat near future that I just can't wait another minute and must take measures into my own hands, or maybe it's the whole "mom thing" making me feeling a bit more domestic and driving me to strive to attain that accomplished feeling of feeding my daughter something made from my own hands. Whatever it is....I like it. Cause it resulted in fresh, homemade tortillas! Yea, Trena!

 On my tiny stove top, using my awesomely heavy chapati pan. Oh, how Kenyan of me!

And, I must say that I am quite impressed with myself for actually enjoying the process of cooking, even the fun moments of interruption by a brand new 2 year old. 

"Mama, pamas (pajamas) off." (It wasn't that late to still be in pajamas. It was only about 9am, I just got an early start. ;-) )
"Hap-Birt-Day Julia! Nana."
(Happy Birthday, Julia. This is from Nana.) 


And now, off to finish "the rest of the story" as I prepare to fill those tortillas.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...