I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My First Test of Survival!

And, I passed! The driver brought me to YaYa Center (like a mall) to go to the ATM and cybercafe yesterday. I was to text him when I was about ready to leave. As I was withdrawing shillings, I accidentally turned off my phone. I hadn't reset my password, but I knew what numbers it was, something like 2987, or was it 2798, or perhaps 2978??? Well, you don't get three tries! It locked!! OFF!!!! I had no cell phone and no numbers! Hmmm....quite a predicament. There are no pay phones or security help-desk type things. What was I to do? I though I would go up to the cyber to try to email someone I knew. But, i knew Tina doesn't check email often, and I didn't have Mutua's address. I would try Shem. But, the internet was down! An even bigger predicament! By the way, people don't share nicely here...phones at least. It is very expensive. I asked the girl at SafariCom (which is where I got my phone-isn't that a cool name?!) if she could unlock my phone or if there was a landline I could pay to use. She was not very helpful, to put it nicely! I went back to the cyber to see if it was up. I was praying all the while that it would be, and that someone would be nice and let me use their phone. I'm not good at being bold and asking complete strangers for favors. The internet was up! Praise God! I told the girl working there what had happened. She was nice and sympathetic. So....I got on the internet, checked my mail, only to find an email from Shem saying that he was out of town until Wednesday! Uh-oh...even BIGGER predicament! He obviously wouldn't respond to my email! Now, I could find a few numbers, but still had no way to call!!! As I was sitting at the computer, I heard...oh, I can't remember the name..."You're faithfulness, reaches to the heavens..." What is that song? Anyway....I needed to hear it! Just after that, the girl came and asked if I was having luck, then she offered me her phone!!! Praise God again!! So, I tried Tina....no answer. I tried again...no answer. Beginning to panic. Called Shem. Even though he was out of town, perhaps he could advise me. As soon as he began to tell me what to do, the girl's phone ran out of credit! Fortunately, Shem called back. I asked if taxis were safe, and he told me which one to look for and how to find it from where I was. He told me to find a driver that would call him and he would do the talking and tell me how much to pay. Huge help!! So, I took a deep breath, and set out, ready to be a confident American rather than a poor little lost girl who looked frantic. Then, as I walked outside headed to the taxi, David, my driver was coming up to look for me!!! I had taken too long! I was so glad to see him! God WAS faithful. I had prayed earlier that morning that He would be my Guide and Protector, and He was. Since I passed yesterday's test, I set out again today. This time, completely on my own. I will not even have David to call when I leave here. I am going to New Life Home from here!!! I haven't decided if I will walk or taxi. I think I know the way, but am not entirely sure. Perhaps I should taxi this time. Then, I will walk back home later today. I DO know that way! I'll let you know if I pass this next test. :-) Thanks for all your prayers!!!!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...