I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

And God Remembered


Living in Kenya, interacting with Kenyans and learning their culture and their language...it is amazing how it often helps me understand the Bible in a new way or gives me a different perspective. There are so many commonalities between African and Biblical cultural. And even in the language. 

For example, Kenyans often tell me as I am leaving to go somewhere, "Remember us," (that is, leaving the country for a visit home, leaving for a trip to Nairobi, or leaving somewhere to go run errands around town). Upon returning from town, from church, from my own home, or from abroad, I am very often asked, "Did you remember me?" 

Considering that these questions often come from people whom I know well, my first thought would be, "Well, of course I know you," or "Do you really think I will instantly forget you when I drive away?" It took me a long time to get used to those questions/comments and understand what they are truly asking. What they are really saying is, "Think of us," or "Remember to pray for me," or "Did you think of me while you were away?"

It makes sense; we just don't use it or think of it that way in America. There are SO many things like this that I find in our conversations here. But this one came to mind this morning as I read God's words in Genesis:

"But God remembered Noah...." (Gen 8:1) and

"Then God remembered Rachel; He listened to her and opened her womb." (Gen 30:22)

No doubt, God had not forgotten about Noah and Rachel. He had not put them out of His mind and then suddenly remembered them. No, He was remembering them, thinking about them, considering them, knowing them. 

Isn't it good to know that God remembers us? He is the All-Knowing God who remembering us, thinking of us. 

I love when the things that sometimes confuse, frustrate, and/or annoy me in the cultural and language differences between myself and those around me begin to take on a new meaning and enlighten me. Or even better, when God uses those things to remind me of Himself and teach me a lesson. 

Just like my friends want me to remember them when we are apart, to think of them, we want the same from our God. And He does! He DOES remember us! I am never left alone or forgotten. And He does a MUCH better job of remembering me - and all of my friends - than I do of remembering them when we are apart. Yes, I do "remember" them....but in the thoughtful, concerned, loving way that I desire from God? Not so much. 

I pray that God will use this in my life. I pray that when people do come to mind, that I will not simply remember them, but thoughtfully and prayerfully remember them. Just as God remembers us. 

And isn't it great to know that God remembers ALL of His children? I take GREAT comfort in that! As I sometimes become overwhelmed with the heaviness of knowing that we hold so many tiny, little lives in our hands at Haven of Hope, it is an awesome comfort to know that God is remembering each of our babies right now. He is thinking of them and planning for and preparing for their futures. He remembers each one of our babies. 

Today, I am especially thankful that He is remembering Jeremiah. He is remembering Jeremiah. 



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...