I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Monday, October 12, 2009

Old News and Pictures from Heshima

I just realized that I never posted about one of my favorite Heshima moments! Heshima is the center for special needs that I work with.  My "job" for the past (almost) year has been the Education Coordinator, but my main focus is the relationships I have been building as I have been discipling some of the staff. I have also had the desire to do outreach into the surrounding community.

 
 
The founder, Tracey Hagman, intentionally opened the center in the slum area for the purpose of reaching children with special needs living in dire conditions.  (Heshima is in the Ngando slum, located between Nairobi and Karen.) It is also our desire for the surrounding community to recognize these children as valuable and worthy of our support and respect; they were created by God for a purpose. 


I have also had the disire to use Heshima as a platform for otureach into the community.  We are there to offer hope to the children of Heshima because of God's great love for us.  We want to pass that on, not only to our own children but to all those around us.  



When I had the opportunity to involve a mission team in the ministry of His Cherished Ones, I knew which door God was waiting to open for us.This team coming from Houston was more than willing to participate.  They brought some fun things and organized games that instantly drew a crowd of children.  

 
 

Within a short time, the crowd of children grew the attention of adult and we soon had a crowd of adults as well.  The team was able to share the Gospel in a variety of ways to several different groups.


 





In addition to the spiritual, we were also able to help meet the physical needs of many by doing a feeding outreach. I have some wonderful friends at Serv Ministries International  http://www.servintl.org/ who generously donated food to feed over 200 people. 

 
 

The staff of Heshima and and Haven of Hope worked diligently to prepare a LOT of food and the team from Houston worked feverishly to serve it.  


 


Once again, what a blessing to be a part of such an amazing time! And the greatest of all was that we were able to celebrate as we welcomed new sisters in Christ in the family of God! No greater joy that that!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...