I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Friday, March 7, 2008

Update

This week has been good to relax and get re-acclimated to Kenya. I'm so glad to be here!

Next week, I'll get busy. One of my main focuses for the first month is learning the language and getting around Nairobi. I do know my way around pretty well, but I want to feel very confident before I eventually start driving myself around alone.

I start Kiswahili lessons on Monday. I will have my own teacher, Hellen. She is going to incorporate Rosetta Stone, which I already have, for my homework so I can still use the program and do it at home! I will go to Baptist Mission on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the lessons. Eventually, she will take me out - to the market, driving, etc. - so we can use it in real-life. I'm looking forward to it! I do know some Swahili, but it will be good to work with someone who will help me bring it all together and not be afraid to use it. I have the words floating around in my head, but when it comes to actually saying them in conversation or answering questions in Swahili, I freeze!

On Tuesday and Thursday, I will go to an IDP (Internally Displaced People) camp. I'm excited about this. I know it will be eye-opening. My friend, Shem (Baptist Mission), says what people are wanting most is to have someone to just sit and listen to them. They are frustrated, hurt, angry, and just need to talk. I am more than willing to do that! That sounds great to me, but I'm prepared to do more work there, too. I do look forward to hearing peoples' stories.

Please pray....
- that the Lord will put me in the place He wants me to serve, and that I will hear and be receptive to His leading.
- for continued safety and protection. I'm learning to get around Nairobi alone....even downtown! It's going great, so far.
- for the people of Kenya. Although peace has been restored and things are relatively calm (VERY much so in Nairobi), many are still hurting and displaced. EVERYONE has been affected by the turmoil and violence over the past months, whether directly or indirectly.
- that I would be discerning in knowing how to best help those in need, and there are many! Though there were before, there are even more now. May all my actions, my time, my funds be spent in the way the Lord directs.

...and may all be done to the glory and praise of our Lord, Jesus Christ!!

1 comments:

Dennis, Allison, Anjela and B.J. said...

So excited you are learning Swahili and your way around Nairobi. You can be our tour guide of the city when we come!!
Can't wait to hear how your time in the IDP camps goes! Wish I was there with you.
We are praying for you and look forward to being back in Kenya very very soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...