I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Friday, March 7, 2008

Today's lunch...it multiplies!!!

Food. Food in Kenya. Lots of people at home ask about it. “What do you eat there?” Today’s lunch…Actually, I had already eaten when I remembered I wanted a picture, so this is Mr. Mayoli’s, but I ate the same thing. Much less.


It’s rice with green grain beans (lentils) and shredded cabbage. First of all, I’m not a fan of rice. It’s a texture thing. The lentils and cabbage isn’t too bad…at first.


So, I put some in my dish. Just a little. The house help who cooks the food is almost offended by how little. It grew. The first few bites aren’t bad. But then I swear it multiplies! As I’m chewing, it doesn’t seem to go away. I’m watching TV and realize that it’s still in my mouth! You know how it’s a little harder to swallow something you don’t really like? That’s it. And I’m tired of eating it, but look at my dish and it’s still there! Mind you, I barely filled the bottom of my dish (same size as Mr. Mayoli’s – about ¼ of what he had). Obviously, if you know me, you know I have no problem eating! But, this definitely ain’t yer Chic-fil-a!


Anyway, stay tuned…You’ll love the ugali experience!! I think that’s dinner tonight.


Speaking of dinner…last night was fun. I met friends for dinner at Village Market, a very Westernized place. The HFBC team went there for lunch and the Masai Market last year when they were here. We decided to eat at a Chinese restaurant instead of the food court. So…dinner – Chinese food – in Africa – listening to Dolly Parton playing in the background! Fun times.

2 comments:

Dennis, Allison, Anjela and B.J. said...

YUMMY!!!!!

Trena said...

Oh, please tell me I will say that someday!!

You don't eat ugali on the coast, do you?? Unfortunately, I do know the answer to that. :-(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...