I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Monday, March 24, 2008

Swahili Update

I saw a segment on the news the other about the languages Kenyans speak in their homes. In this survey, it was found that 86% of Kenyans speak their vernacular (tribal) language in the home, 13% speak Kiswahili, and 1% speak English. Guess what! Of all the Kenyans in the country, I just happen to live with the 1% that speak English!!!

I wouldn’t trade “my family” for the world, but it does make it a little harder to learn the language. The Swahili that they do speak is not pure Swahili, it is a more casual Swahili spoken in the city.

My language teacher is great, but she is teaching me all the complete grammar of Kiswahili, not a lot of what I would yet use in my daily life. In fact, the family I live don’t really even know or understand what she is teaching me! It confuses them. I know that if/when I go to the coastal region of Mombasa, knowing the more pure Swahili will be very useful. (Isn't that right, Dennis & Allison?) But right now, I do not feel like I am making a lot of progress. It is slow. Or maybe I’m just slow!

Anyway, I am thinking about talking to one of the university students I volunteer at New Life with about tutoring me in “real life” Swahili…ordering/buying food, shopping at the market, directions around town, etc. That would also be a great ministry opportunity! I am beginning to connect with the volunteers. We are beginning to build relationships, and I am praying that the Lord will continue to work in those relationships and that their hearts will continue to open to Him. They have an openness, while still being reserved. The opportunity to spend even more time through language tutoring could be a great tool for the Lord to continue to open doors and hearts.

Please pray with me for direction in this decision. I know that my current teacher is in great need of the money for the lessons. I hate to deny her that. But, I also see the opportunity in going the other direction with the university student. Please pray for discernment for me, as well as the opportunity itself.

1 comments:

Dennis, Allison, Anjela and B.J. said...

You are right about that Trena!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...