I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Monday, October 4, 2010

WHAT A WEEK!!!...nope, TWO Weeks!

Well, I have been a bit busy and obviously haven't posted in a long time. Oops!


But to recap, let me just tell you about the past two week. It's been pretty crazy. Here are a few highlights. (Or a lot.)


* I was working early the week before last to prepare to leave the baby house and the ministry. That takes a lot, but it is a bit easier this year as I now have George, my assistant. Still, making sure all bases are covered while I am out of the country and ensuring that things are in place enough to carry ahead with ministry and the process of preparing the babies for adoption eligibility is quite a task. 


* I was spending the middle/end of that week mentally preparing (or practicing the art of avoidance) to leave my Julia. That was SO not fun. In July, I had started preparing myself for the possibility of leaving her, but I had no choice. I was not about to miss my best friend's wedding! But leaving Julia is one of the hardest things of my life, if not the hardest. But, doing the responsible motherly thing, I pulled myself out of the abyss of denial and dutifully packed her bag and prepared her for her trip to the Ingram's house. (She is staying with some amazing friends whom she LOVES.)


* The end of that last week was spent scurrying around and doing all the last-minute preps and packing for my trip to America. Nana and Julia and I spent our last day hanging out in Nairobi and enjoying being together. 


* We left on Friday, Sept 24th. And here, I must stop and notably give myself kudos for walking out of the Ingram's house, leaving my baby, on my own two feet! No one had to carry me out kickin-n-screamin. That was better than I expected. I held myself together until I hugged her goodbye, gave her a kiss, handed her to Florah (the Ingram's oldest daughter), told her "I love you. Go slide with Moses and I will be back very soon." We won't mention the hyperventilating and incessant sobbing that overtook me the moment I walked out of the room. That was absolutely the hardest physical act I have ever had to do and it actually hurt! My heart literally hurt for hours afterwards. But I did it! And I survived. And so did Julia. 


* The rush of mixed emotions continued as I reached Houston. The tears flowed once again as I recognized the reality of landing in America without my little girl, something I really did not believe I would have to do. Once again, it hurt. But that sadness was replaced by excitement when I saw my best friend and my dad waiting for us as we came out into the muggy air of Houston. I was SO excited to finally see my friend, the bride-to-be with the big shiny rock on her finger and glow on her face. (Okay, the glow was probably her freshly highlighted, wedding-ready hair, but she still looked great.)


* The next few jet-lagged, reverse culture-shock days were a bit exasperated by changes at hand. You might be surprised to know that this girl of many life changes over the past few years, really does NOT like change! I am a "comfort zone" kinda girl. Kris's house is my American home. We were roommates for 5 of the 7 years I lived in Houston before moving to Africa. When I sold my house to go to Kenya, most of my stuff went right back into Kris's house. She was planning to get new living room furniture and other stuff, so she sold hers and was going to keep mine until she decided. She never did that, so each time I go home, I really do go "home." My clothes still in the closet, toiletries in my bathroom, piano in the front room, dishes in the cupboards. Well, in preparations for the fiance moving in, changes must be made. With a house already full of two people's things, room had to be made for a new resident, so my parents took most of my things to their house. Kris has been busy over the past year clearing things out, cleaning, organizing and getting ready for her future husband! The house looks GREAT, but for the familiarity-loving, over-attached, change-hating me, it took a few days to get used to. I'll partially blame it on the jet-lag and travel emotions, but it did take me a few days to acclimate to being home this time. Once I did, it was WAY worth it! Seeing Kris take on her new role as wife-to-be is so great. She is doing a great job and I am so excited to see her grow into this. And her house looks fabulous and totally (well, almost totally) ready for the Mr. to move in!
* So, on to last week. My parents went back home on Monday and we had a great day of shopping before they left. A shopping spree is usually on the agenda for my trips back to America. Clothes don't tend to last too long with hand-washing or Kenyan washing machine washes and line drying on the hot, direct equator sun. And...I got to shop for my little girl for the first time! Yes, people send her some adorably cute clothes that I get to dress her in, but this time I got to pick out and buy her some things myself. It may sound shallow, but it was so much fun!  

* As soon as Kris got off work on Monday, the fun began!! I finally got to participate in the bridal fun that a maid of honor should be a part of! And a great way to spend time with my "muchly missed" friend. After our oh-so-important stop for my much-needed Chick-fil-a (the casualty of Sunday being my first day back), we hit the ground running with a visit to the wedding/reception location, stops at a few bridal stores, shopping for wedding accessories, shoes, etc., and a trip to the tailor. It was great to spend some time with my best friend!


* The next day was a day of laundry and more packing followed by more errands and shopping 
when Kris got off work. :) Packing....for what? A GIRLS SPA TRIP!!!  Yes, Kris and I went on a girls' trip to Sedona, Arizona. We spent five days at in beautiful Sedona, watching amazing sunsets, enjoying our phenomenal views of the amazing red rocks, shopping on the quaint little strip, and complete with some fabulous spa treatments including facials, message, body wraps, and head message. Mmm...long needed relaxation! (For both of us!)


* Just as Kris and I set out on our little spa vacation my mom had an accident. She passed out, fell down backwards and hit her head. She had a mild seizure shortly after that. It took a few hours for her to wake up and once she did, she was very groggy, in severe pain, and unable to speak clearly or remember basic facts. Over the next few days, she gradually woke up and began to feel better. I was in Arizona by the time we got the first full report. My mom has had a bit of a history with concussions so we kind of knew what to expect. She is always very slow to come out of anything, and she reacts in extreme ways to medications and sedatives. It takes her twice as long as the average person to come out of anesthesia after a surgery. So, considering what my mom would tell me and knowing that it would take a few days to see how she would come out of this, I opted to stay in Sedona with Kris and try to enjoy our getaway. My whole reason for coming back was to spend time with my best friend before she gets married. In fact, it was my mom who helped me make the decision to come home a few weeks before the wedding, even if I had to leave Julia, to make time for this trip. 


So that's what I did. I stayed in Sedona, spend half the time on the phone, but was able to enjoy my time there. My mom gradually got better and by the time we got back to Houston last night she was tons better. She is able to sit up, she is fully awake (when she is awake), she knows most basic facts, recognizes anyone who comes to visit her and she is fully aware of what is going on. Unfortunately, she is still not able to stand without blacking out. The doctors believe that this is still related to her concussion. As soon as that is taken care of and she is feeling up to traveling, she will be heading back to Houston to help us get this wedding show on the road!



Meanwhile, I am working towards a shower for Kris this weekend and preparing for hosting the rehearsal dinner, and of course, missing my Julia and the babies at the baby house SO MUCH! Lots of fun to look forward to before I head back to Kenya in less than two weeks!!

Now....back to regularly scheduled blog postings.... 

1 comments:

Terry said...

Trena, always on the fly. I am so pleased you like Sadona. It (as is most of Arizona)is beautiful. Now you have so much more to look forward to. Your moms recovery, the wedding celebrations, and reuniteing with your daughter. OH, then two Serv teams.
Terry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...