I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Proof of Progress

I am procrastinator. Really bad. And I am not good at the follow-through thing either.

I have good intentions. Great intentions. It's usually the last step that gets me. 

Like, I can almost send a card in the mail. 
I can buy the card. You know, the one that is perfect for someone?
Most of the time, I can write a great message inside. 
Many times, I even get it addressed. 
I can occasionally put a stamp on it.
I do not remember the last time I actually mailed a card. Or anything, for that matter!

I am the same way when it comes to business tasks. I procrastinate. Finances. Yuck! Sorting receipts. Expense reports. Filing. Yuck! But I try.

I set deadlines for myself.
I break tasks down into small pieces.
I set rewards for myself.
I set punishments for myself.
I try to find the root of the procrastination.
I make schedules.
I ask people to hold me accountable.

And my partner in business/ministry....she is the opposite. And right now, I am down to the wire. My mom comes to visit tomorrow. I am leaving with her in less than two weeks to go to the States for a few weeks. That is my for-real deadline. I have to have all the finance and expense reports for the year up-to-date, organized and ready to give to the accountant when I get to America. 

I am doing it! I am getting it done! As usual, last minute, but I am almost finished. 

And what am I doing right now? I'm PROCRASTINATING! Of course, I sugarcoat it and call it "taking a break." I have been hard at work all day, so I'm allowed a break, right?  (Nevermind the fact that I have had a number of them already today, and I live with a 2 year old so they have been somewhat frequent.) 

And I can always use the excuse: "It's the weekend," although I don't even do weekends. My days are no different on the weekends than the weekdays. 

So, to Kris (my HCO partner), who knows me better than I know myself - Here is my proof to her that I AM doing it!! I WILL have it done when I come home. I will make you proud! 



And just in case you are wondering, this is one more attempt at holding myself accountable. :-) 


A work partner helps with the motivation, too. And with one so cute, it also doubles as a distraction....but oh, SO worth it!

4 comments:

Single and Sane said...

Looks like you have a good system and a great helper. You're going to get it done!

Kris said...

Yea! I am proud of you! Hopefully we will not have another fire episode! :-)

Terry said...

Trena

Paper....not my gift eaither. Would never give you a hard time about it's organization. Now time, space and errands. Those are my strengths. Good luck with the paper, and as they say in the south Bless your heart.

Terry

Terry said...

Ooooooo, just noticed Kris's fire episode remark. Another one of those might due you in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...