I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

And I Love Her Anyway


I’ve never planned a wedding.
She’s never planned a first birthday party.
I’ve never fallen asleep in the arms of someone I love.
She’s never held her daughter until she fell asleep in her arms.
I’ve never made a special meal for my boyfriend.
She’s never made a meal that made her baby say, “Mama. Good.”
I’ve never packed a bag for a trip with my fiance.
She’s never packed a bag for a trip with a baby.
I’ve never kissed my future husband goodnight.
She’s never been kissed by her baby before laying her in her crib.
I’ve never laid awake at night thinking about my future with my fiance.
She’s never laid awake at night scared to death about the future of her child.

I don’t have to share my bathroom with a boy.
She doesn’t have to change dirty diapers in the back of a Land Cruiser.
I don’t have to listen to a grown man snore beside me in the night.
She doesn’t have to wake in a panic when she hears her baby cry in the night.

I get to drive in a game park and see giraffes with my baby anytime I want.
She gets to go to the Cook Islands with her husband on her honeymoon.
I get to eat Goldfish as my baby feeds them to me one at a time.
She gets to taste a hundred wedding cakes.
I get to hear my sweet little girl say, “I ya yoo, mommy.”
She gets to hear her husband say, “I love you, baby.”
I get to be a mommy. 
She gets to be a bride.
I live in Africa. 
She lives in America.
I am her best friend.
She is my best friend.
God has blessed me in one way.
God has blessed her in another.
Our lives are no longer matching step-for-step, but
Our lives are forever walking together.



And I love her anyway. 


This is post is inspired by MamaKat's Writers Workshop promts. My first time to participate and I kinda cheated by combining two prompts:
1.) A list of things you no longer have in common with your single/childless friends…and why you love them anyways.
2.) A list of things you no longer have in common with your married/child bearing friends…and why you love them anyways.

8 comments:

Bethany said...

I LOVE this! Poignant...

Alaine said...

What a celebration of your special relationship with each other, and the other relationships in your lives-well done!

Single and Sane said...

Beautifully done!

Lesley said...

Wonderful poetry! I chose Prompt#1, but it's nothing as deep and thoughtful as what you produced. What a beautiful tribute to friendship as well!

HeatherK said...

Oh that was very touching... I love this post!

Kris said...

We are on separate continents with many miles between us as we experience the awesome life changes God has set before us. All along our kindred spirits continue to walk together even though our actual steps do not....now that takes talent! Ha! Love you, friend!

MommyNeedsCake said...

What a beautiful post. Love it!

Eliz Frank said...

Beautiful... I love it! I wrote about my dream home; all fun!
best,
Elizabeth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...