I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Sunday, May 9, 2010

To MY Cherished One...A Surreal Mother's Day

Me? A mother? How did that happen?! (And, no, the logical answer to that is not the correct answer.)


Mother's Day is a day to celebrate MY mom...not me as a mom. Strange to think how things change. Especially when you skip a few steps in getting there!




I was born on Mother's Day 35 years ago. On this day, I can't help but think of my mom and the story of her first Mother's Day. We have shared this day my whole life. I know, I know...every mom shares Mother's Day with their child. Duh. It's what makes a mom a mom. 


But I have always thought that my mom had a most special first Mother's Day. I mean, she got me, right? Now, that's special. Ha! My mom went to church that Sunday morning, skipped out on the family Mother's Day lunch since she wasn't feeling so good, and I was born before 1:30pm. She knew how to get things going! She still does.


As all new moms do, I suppose, I see Mother's Day in a whole new light this year. This morning, as I sat and watched my little girl play, looking up at me and grinning her silly little smile, I was overwhelmed with love for her. Though I did not give birth to her, I cannot imagine having any more love for a child! Although I always dreamed of being a mother, I never dreamed of the sheer joy I would feel just by watching her! I am so thankful for my Julia. And I am thankful to our Father for allowing me this privilege of loving her and caring for her as my own. What a blessing it is!!! I hope that I can be half the mom that my mom has been to me!


This was taken the first week that Julia came to Haven of Hope. We had a bond right from the beginning! Such sweet memories.


To my sweet Julia,

Though your birthday may be unknown, though you were born into circumstances less than desirable, I pray that every day of your life you will know that you were known by your Heavenly Father before you were conceived and you are MORE than desirable to Him...and to me. I am glad you were born.

Once abandoned, you are now safe. Once forgotten and left, you are now remembered every moment of every day. I am glad you were born.

God brought you into my home...first as one of His Cherished Ones, now as mine. I know now that God brought me to Kenya to bless me with YOU! I am glad you were born!

Napenda sana na kabisa, mtoto yangu!



Happy Mother's Day to MY mom, and to all moms out there. You are loved and appreciated!!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...