I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Friday, May 7, 2010

The Julia Story


Many of you have asked, mostly via Facebook, what is going on with Julia? Am I adopting her? 
 
Well, here is the story...

I cannot officially adopt Julia because America has closed adoptions with Kenya, so at this point adoption is not an option. But, yes, I am Julia's mom and am pursuing full guardianship of her.  So in addition to everything going on in the life of HCO, this is what is going on in my personal life.


How did this happen?  I wish I knew! There was something different between the two of us since she came. However, in my best teachery way I tried to keep everything even and fair between all the babies. I fought any different feelings that came up, but there continued to be a unique closeness between us. We had a special connection and I hated being apart from her. I noticed myself contemplating what was happening and wondering what it meant.

I had many inner arguments during this decision making process. Believe me, the questions many of you have asked, I have also battled with myself.

Why would I intentionally bring this baby into a single parent family?
What if adoptions are not made legal again for a long time?
How can you become "mom" to one and not all of them?
What will it do to the relations with the other babies?
How will the staff react and will they treat her different from the others?
How will she feel being raised somewhat alongside "orphaned" babies?

(I do have answers to these questions, but won't take the time to bore you with them now.)

After much prayer, seeking counsel from many people whom I respect, and countless hours of toiling over the situation, I finally decided to pursue the possibility of taking Julia as my own. 

One word from God that I got during this time of seeking Him was that I felt Him telling me to "be free to love her with as much love as I give you for her." I was also reminded of His words to me regarding all my babies: they are NOT mine. He has given them to me to love and care for for this time and season in their lives. And pondering that, thus is true for all mothers regarding all children. The Lord entrusts them to us for a time, but they are His.


So....I proceed.

I have met with a lawyer and have begun taking the steps to pursue guardianship. The first step was to track down Julia's living relatives. Her mother is living. She is mentally handicapped and the father is unknown. She was taken advantage of. Julia's maternal grandmother is living, unmarried, and unable to care for her due to her age. Her mother's brother, her great uncle, actually takes on the role of "grandfather," according to culture. 

So, I contacted her uncle and met with him. The first sign that things were off to a good start was that he agreed to meet and actually made the effort to come to Nairobi - when he said he would, and on time! That is a really big deal and a huge praise to God for a great first step! 

Her uncle was very agreeable to the request and was willing to do the things required of him. In order to go to court with the initial petition, we must have his consent, the consent of her grandmother, and a number of documents that he had to go collect. That was the second praise: that he was willing to go back, make an effort and return the documents to us.

Where are we now? 

We have a meeting scheduled with the lawyer next Tuesday, May 11th (my birthday) at 2pm. Julia's uncle says he will come with the needed documents. The lawyer will then draw the papers for consent to relinquish guardianship. 

At that point, the uncle AND Julia's grandmother will have to come back to Nairobi again to sign those papers. Then, the lawyer will go to court on our behalf and file the initial petition. 

Those are our immediate next steps. And all that is just the beginning of the process to get full guardianship/custody of Julia.There is a long road ahead of us, but it is entirely possible with the help of God!


Our goal is to have it all completed - guardianship approved, passport obtained, US visa granted, and travel plans made - in time to go home for a very special occasion. Won't Julia just be a precious little flower girl in her Auntie Kris's wedding?! 

So, in case you have been wondering what is going on with Julia....there it is!
  

I would GREATLY appreciate your prayers in this matter! Among everything else going on with HCO, this is a huge event in my life.  Though I do not understand God's timing in all of this, I know He has a purpose in all things and He IS faithful!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...