I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Our Next Baby

FAQs I encounter on a regular basis:

How many babies do you have in your home?
Six 

Will you get more?
Yes

Why do you only have six?
Our goal is to provide superior quality care to infants in a family home setting. We intentionally keep our numbers low so that the babies we do have are able to recieve a significant amount of one-on-one time with their aunties (caretakers). We want it to feel like a home, a family, and not an institution. We obviously cannot take every child in need that we encounter and that is a HARD thing, but we trust that God gave us this vision for a purpose and we will give the best care and love to the babies He blesses us with.

So, that being said. We may be getting a new baby this week! Over the past few weeks I have been sensing the Lord's prompting, thinking that a new baby was on its way. I contacted the Childrens Officer at the government childrens home where our other babies were referred from for an unrelated issue. She said, "I just told my assistant this morning that we needed to call you. We have a baby that needs to be in your home." 


My ears were perked and I was anxious to hear what she had to say. They had just received a baby boy from Northern Kenya. He was abandoned in December, either at birth or shortly after, and had been in a childrens home. A home that obviously had NOT fed him. He was literally starving to death. When I saw him last week, he was 2lb, 7oz!! THREE MONTHS OLD! It was one of the most horrific sights I have ever seen.  He did not look human.  Under his ribs, I could see mounds of his intestines and I could see the bands of his tendons in his legs. It was quite disturbing. 

That home has a new policy of keeping babies for at least one week before placing them. It does not look good on record for them to immediately place a sick baby who dies at its new placement within days. 

Therefore, our conclusion was that if he survives the week/weekend, we would take him this week.  He is scheduled to have his immunizations tomorrow (Monday) and we could possibly bring him home on Tuesday.  When I talked to the Childrens Officer on Saturday for an update, she informed me that he has already gained a half-kilo in the few days since I have seen him, which means that he is now approximately 3.5 lbs!!  Praise God for that! 

So, I ask you to please keep this little baby boy and this situation in your prayers.  If it is the Lord's will that he come to our home, we will lovingly welcome him. It will require a great deal of special care and time, but that is exactly the reason we have just a few babies in our home. We are ready, willing and happy to receive the next baby God brings to us!! 

I will update as soon as I know about this precious little boy, and/or the next baby who will be a part of our family.


2 comments:

Into Africa.... said...

I have been devouring your blog. I recently had my first mission trip experience - to Nakuru - needless to say it was life changing. I am praying for you and all these precious babies as well as myself as I pray about my future with missions.

A. Mosley said...

Kris was telling us about this little guy yesterday. It sounds like HoH would be a GREAT place for him. Please keep us updated and let us know how we can help once he arrives!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...