I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Friday, October 17, 2008

Heshima - PART II


This is Heshima. It is a center for children with special needs. It is located in the Ngando slums of Niarobi, Kenya.

Heshima is a Kiswahili word for "dignity." In Kenya, children with special needs are rarely treated with dignity. They are often hidden away, kept inside the home. As they grow older, most are shunned and treated with very little respect.

There are a few schools for children with special needs, but the average Kenyan, especially those living in conditions of poverty, cannot affort them. Their only option is to keep the child
at home.

Heshima is a place of hope for these children and their families.
We want to show them that they deserve to be treated with dignity, with respect, with love. Our God cherishes them and long to lavish His love on them!!


The facilities of Heshima are extraordinary!!! It sits in a row of rooms which are home to some people. It is a concrete building with concrete floors! This is considered WAY high-end compared to its surroundings. Most surrounding buildings are made of tin (corrogated iron sheets) and have dirt floors. Tracey, the founder of Heshima, has put a great deal of effort into beautifying the center. By doing this, the community around the center can see that we believe these children are WORTH the effort! We love them enough to make this special for them.














I look forward to how God will use Heshima to reach into this community. I can't wait to share that with you!

1 comments:

Julie Cooney said...

Trena Ivy!! You amaze me! Can I live vicariously through you??? I love getting on and reading your page. How I would love to be there with you (if I didn't have 4 kids of my own here at home). You go!!! It's amazing for me to watch God work through those I know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...