I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Friday, October 17, 2008

Heshima - PART I

God does the most amazing things!

If you know me or have read much of this blog, you know that I work with Haven on the Hill (home to our five precious boys - see pics below!!) and with volunteer mission teams coming from the US. Since I have been in Kenya, God has faithfully laid out His plan for me.

I absolutely adore our precious boys at Haven and I am so excited about the future of Haven on the Hill and its place of light in the village community. I also love working with mission teams. From the moment I meet them at the airport, I love to share in their enthusiasm and excitement for what the Lord has in store and what He will do through them during their time in Kenya.

Over the past weeks I have sensed God laying something on my heart; I can tell that there is something in store and have been trying to remain in the Spirit so that I am open to where the Lord guides. I have had a desire to be somehow more involved in the poorer parts of Kenya. Those that are so very prevalent. You cannot help but notice the sheer desperation and desolation on the faces of those all around. There are slums around every corner.

And that's just it...they are around every corner. You can see them if you open your eyes to them. But it is easy to keep your eyes on the road and not notice what lies behind the store fronts and produce stands along the streets.

What is back there? Poverty. Sadness. Sickness. Hopelessness.

I can see that in the faces of people I meet every day, yet I do not live in it. But I want to know it. I want to know it so that I can better understand the people with whom I live. My kids at Haven on the Hill are precious. The poor babies have horrendous backgrounds. They now live in luxury compared to the dreadful circumstances from which they were rescued. I want to know where they came from; where the majority of the people in Nairobi come from....live in.

So, that in mind...my prayer since I came back to Kenya has been that I would be totally open to the Spirit; that I would not simply act out of expectations - expectations of those around me, my friends and family, my supporters, myself - but that I would act out of total obedience to the Lord's leading in my life. I want to be locally involved. Haven is about a two hour drive away. I don't solely want to work with orphanages or programs already supported by churches or mission organizations, although there are still MANY of those who do need assistance. My prayer has been that God would show me how I can best use my gifts, abilities, and time to make a difference and minister to the poorest part of the city in which I live.

I was praying that exact prayer last week as I drove to my first night of a church home group. Imagine my shock when I listened to the host of the group, Tracey, update her friends on her project. She was saying that they have made great progress with the center. They had rooms rented and painted and ready to go...
...in the slums
...behind "furniture row" on the road to my house!

Her project:
A SCHOOL FOR CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS - in the slums!

Her concern at this point:
She has a God-given vision, but no professional experience in the field.
She has resources, but no one to provide implementation.
She has a staff, but no one to train them to work with special needs.

My job before coming to Kenya:
A preschool special needs teacher!!!

My prayer for direction to the place He has prepared for me (or prepared me for):
Answered!!

Though I did not completely understand God's plan or my involvement in Tracey's project that evening, it was clear to me that God was revealing Himself and working all around me. After spending time talking to Tracey, hearing her vision and needs, talking with the staff and spending time at the site, I am confident that the Lord has opened this door of opportunity!

The center is called Heshima, a Kiswahili word for "dignity." I will be helping them at least one day a week, providing training for the teachers and overseeing their work with the children. I will be putting my experience as a special needs teacher into practice...in the slums of Nairobi!

God never ceases to amaze me! I cannot tell you the joy I felt as I sat in the school, talking with the staff and walking with them through the "neighborhood" finding the "hidden" children that we hope to minister to.

There is so much more that I want to share, but this post is already WAY too long!! Stay tuned for more of the story of Heshima. Pics soon to follow....

1 comments:

claggettclan said...

Now that's cause to shout! I'm really excited to hear more stories from Heshima.
-Denise

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...