I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Thursday, May 8, 2008

I Survived!

Technical Difficulties. The pictures I refer to below are unable to upload at this time. So, just read and stay tuned for visuals. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow. TIA!! I know you are so disappointed to miss seeing how gorgeous I am after 11 days with no real shower!

Yes, I survived 11 days in the village living with no electricity or running water! Woo hoo! I think I can actually make it in Africa!

In case you may have noticed, I’ve been gone for awhile. I haven’t posted in over two weeks. I went to Kisumu on a vision trip for some upcoming ministry teams from the US. A LOT has happened over the past few weeks. I have officially started working with Baptist Volunteers in Missions as the Project Coordinator/American Liaison.

It is EXCITING! I don’t have time to share about it all, but I will over the next week or so. Some of the projects we are working on are building homes, putting roofs on existing homes, re-locating displaced people, digging water wells, feeding and caring for medical needs of elderly widows, developing partnership with soccer teams and establishing sports evangelism, and training and development of skills to assist young women to become self-sufficient and financially stable.

God is doing some amazing things! I can’t wait to share some of the stories. It is so fun to be a part of what God is doing. Seeing a husband and wife come to know Jesus, and THEN be blessed with the gift of a new home was priceless! In this particular case, this family had already been designated to receive a house but were unaware of that decision when they were invited to church. Shem, one of the men I work with, shared the Gospel with them while talking to them the previous day. They came to church, both made a profession of faith, and then received the news that they were getting a house! Isn’t God great in how He orchestrates events?!

Unfortunately, my camera died the second day we were there. I mostly just got pictures of the horrible roads to Western Kenya, some of the horrendous devastation from the recent violence in Kenya, and pictures of the accommodations to send to upcoming mission teams.

Here are a few I did take…

This is the “before” picture of a house where a roof was put on. The lady is a widow with twin sons. We went into the house and everything was wet from rain from the night before. Very sad situation, and hard to deal with in a home with dirt floors. They really need the protection. The wetness/dampness is very conducive to bad germs and diseases.

This little lady is over 90 years old! Precious! She just talked and talked and sang and sang. I have no idea what she was saying because she didn’t speak English or Swahili! Every once in a while, she would look over and see me again, remember that a mzungu (white person) was there, reach out to slap my hand and say, “JAMBO!!” (Hi!) I think it’s the only thing she remembers in Swahili. Funny little lady.

I’ll share more when I get pictures that Shem took with his camera. Stay tuned…

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...