I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Almost a Kikuyu Bride

This past weekend I went to a pre-wedding ceremony of some friends, Tim and Rose. The traditional part of wedding is held prior to the Christian church wedding. This is where the families of both sides get together and agree to the marriage and negotiate the terms of the dowry, which is paid by the husband’s family to the bride’s family. This may vary somewhat among tribes, but is basically the same. Traditionally, the couple is considered to be married after this event/ceremony.

The Kikuyus have a fun tradition. The bride, along with her friends, matrons, etc. are all covered from head to toe and presented to the groom. He is to choose his bride out of the line-up. The girls are to stand quietly and not move, and the groom is not allowed to touch. If he chooses the wrong bride, he is fined.

Well, I was in the line-up and was almost chosen. (I am in the middle, dark blue flowers. The bride is 4th from left - flowers and stripes.) I had no idea of any of this at the time because they spoke no Swahili and no English, only Kikuyu! Tim had narrowed it down to two….me and Rose! I could sort of see his shadow through the sheet and I knew he was pacing right in front of me. He finally picked Rose, after she tried to hide a chuckle that gave her away! Afterwards, so many people told me I was almost chosen! They were even talking of the amount of the fine!

A fun experience! Definitely a first.

1 comments:

Erinlwat said...

I had a almost marriage experience on my first trip to Kenya. The cheif's wife kept trying to take me home to meet her sons. She almost succeeded if my translator had not stepped in.
Erin Perry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...