I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Saturday, April 12, 2008

My Kiswahili Teachers

These are my teachers. Hellen is my real teacher, but I have lots of helpers.

Hellen comes to my house each morning for language lessons from 8:30-11:30. We do some language study until about 10:00 or so. Then, we go out and practice on the roads to New Life Home. There are several places where we stop each day.



This is me and Joseph standing at the shop just outside our gate. (The “shop” is the kiosk that sells basics like sodas, bread, milk, and sweets. It’s very small, not a real store.) Joseph is very good to always help me speak Kiswahili. In fact, he won’t sell me anything unless I ask in Swahili. He even makes me count money and the change in Swahili, even though most people in Nairobi uses English words for money, time, days of the week, etc.


Ronald is a gate guy (security). He is nice. When I accidentally pulled out and hit a bicycle and freaked out, he saw the whole thing and was VERY helpful! It really turned out to be no big deal, but I didn’t know that at the time. I didn’t want to drive away, but was afraid to get out of my car. He motioned to me to stay in my car and not say anything. He came across the street, talked to the guy and made sure everything was okay. Then, he came to me and told me that everything was taken care of. I am so glad I knew him and had been developing that relationship! What a blessing! In fact, all that took place hours after this picture was taken. Don’t worry….I really am a good Kenyan driver!! This was a freak thing. And according to everyone, it was “no big deal…happens all the time.” And truly, I have seen 4 bicycles hit since I’ve been here.

These guys are hilarious! I haven’t figured out exactly what they do or what the purpose of their job is, but they sit in a security truck on the street all day. Occasionally they leave and go tend to something, but I have no idea what they really do. They are all so good to help me with Swahili. They always use the same vocabulary and repeat things back to me so that I hear it both ways.
Like if I say, “Nitaendesha qwa bara bara ya Thika leo jioni na sitaki mvua itanysesha,”
one of them will say, “Sawa sawa, Utaendesha qwa bara bara ya Thika na hutaki itanyesha.”

Then, at 11:30 I go to New Life and have a whole new crew of teachers! I hope I actually learn something from all of this!!!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love all of your pictures and comments and sharing of your experiences. And don't worry we've all hit a bike or two during our days in Kenya...including ME!!!! and just like you a friend helped come rescue me from what i thought was a scary situation!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...