I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Kiddie Table

Well, I am back. I took a short little hiatus while my mom was here. We had a lovely time, by the way, and I am sure I will post more pictures of that in the next week. 

I am back to "work," which means more new, strange (American) things for my girls to do! One thing I have talked about with them since I came back from America and realized how BIG our babies are, is letting the big babies learn to feed themselves. Julia is with me most of the time and is really good at eating finger foods.  To them, (the staff in our house and most Kenyans) allowing a "baby" to feed themselves is a foreign and strange concept. They spoon feed their children (or use their own fingers) until they are a few years old, giving them HUGE bites and keeping the mouth full!! Opposite to most Americans who will give small bites and make sure the child finishes one bite before giving the next.  

I have been talking to them about the importance of making foods that they can use their little fingers to pick up. I have tried explaining the basic developmental benefits of self feeding, like fine motor skills and developing independence.  Well, as with any other thing I want done here, it will not be done until I do it myself (over and over and over again). It takes a lot of work to get them to buy in to a new idea. 

In this particular venture, there are several "crazy" things I am asking them to do:
- Have the little sit at the kid table
- Let the kids use their own fingers
- Eat peas - I had cooked them earlier and they were no longer hot, which is apparently "CRAZY!"
- Eat grilled cheese sandwiches ("Sandwiches are not for babies." and "Babies do not eat cheese. It is not good for them.") 
- Use lessos (pieces of cloth) to tie them in the chair so they don't fall out or walk off (This was not such a crazy idea to them. It is something they do in other situations. But may be crazy to other people.)
 Here is the result...  
- The kids LOVED it! They ate the food and they loved sitting in the chairs.
- Jeremiah ate TWO sandwiches! The girls were shocked. 
- They could feed themselves when they were ready for another bite. They were not having to wait for an auntie to feed another, and they were not rushed.
- "It took too long."  (That was one of the girls' responses.)
- "It was good." (The only other response I got.)
 
  
  
  
I can't wait to try it again! I put sliced turkey, cheese and carrots (yes, cooked carrots) on the menu for Friday. When I told the girls that we don't cook the turkey and cheese, I got some very bad looks. Linet said she would cook Tracy some warm food, and since the others are "mine," they will feed them what I say. They are convinced that feeding a baby cold food will make them sick, give them a cold.  Keep in mind, we are only feeding this table food ones who are all over a year old!  

Oh, Lordy! I LOVE these girls and I love my job, but sometimes I just have to laugh at the challenges of it all. I CAN'T WAIT for some of you - you know who you are ;-) - to come and share in this joy with me!!  And anyone else interested in coming, we would LOVE to have you!!  

Now, go eat some cold finger food, maybe even a dangerous sandwich...and enjoy! 


1 comments:

marty h said...

Maybe we should be praying that like Daniel, these kids will look stronger and more healthy than the babies getting hot food at every meal! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...