I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday's Favorite - Flips!

I LOVE our new Flip cloth diapering system!!
 
 

Thanks to Wes and Kailyn Lowe, we got a complete starter set of Flip diapers for all our babies! These are amazing! With a house full of babies (all in diapers), using cloth diapers is quite an ordeal. Needless to say, disposables are definitely not an option here! 

Let me tell you about the Kenyan way of diapering. I know, if there are any men who read this blog, you have just tuned out and well on your way to another site.  But...seriously, this is a GREAT thing for us and I just HAVE to share!
The "diaper" is more like a kitchen towel. No, it is exactly like a kitchen towel.  These particular ones are one and two months old.  You can see how easily they wear out, requiring us to purchase new ones each month. (By the way, we call them "nappies.")

Over the nappy, we use tie pants. I have yet to find any plastic pants here that come close to working. These spoil (oh, look! I'm using Kenyan terminology!), or tear, VERY quickly. The one on the left is less than two weeks old, the one on the right has lasted one month.

The nappy is folded and then wrapped and tucked. Obviously, bulky, not at all form-fitting, and definitely LEAKS!
 
  

The tie pants are tucked behind, then wrapped and tied in the front. I had to work long and hard, along with a few helpful volunteers (like Terry!!) to train our girls to tuck the cloth nappy UNDER the plastic! It seems logical to me, but proved to be quite a chore to convince the staff that the purpose of the plastic is to be a barrier between the nappy and the clothes! I cannot tell you how many times I had to explain that the cloth part gets wet, soaks through, and goes onto the clothes!
 Also, keep in mind that we (or "they," I should say) wash them by hand and hang them on the line to dry. Diapering is a major deal in a baby house!

So...when I was home in December I began researching cloth diapers.  Thanks to so many people who offered advise, I finally decided on Flip diapers.  Thanks, also to Kailyn Lowe who did a LOT of research as well!!  Then, an added blessing: Kailyn and her husband, Wes, offered to buy us a complete starter set of Flip diapers!  
This has been one of the BEST things that has entered our house! It is a HUGE time saver, money saver, energy saver, and clothes saver! Our staff really appreciates them.  And although our babies cannot express themselves in such ways, I am SURE they also love them.  How could they not?!  They seem SO much more comfortable than the Kenyan nappies they had been using.

One more note: Due to the rainy season coming up, we will have a hard time getting laundry done and dried in enough time to reuse.  We would love to purchase a few more sets for that reason, as well as to have enough when we add our next babies.  If you would like to donate towards that, please follow the link at the top of this page.  

I know I just posted about another need yesterday, Elizabeth's therapy. I do not want to always be asking for monetary support, but these are two of our current needs that I want people to be aware of.  That is what it takes....all of us working together to help these little ones who truly depend on us to meet their needs.
Thanks to all of you who help make this possible!  And, thanks to Flip Diapers and Cotton Babies!! We LOVE your product!  (Sorry, I'm not one of those cool bloggers who know how to connect with products and give fun, great give-aways!  But you can go there and find out about them yourself.)

Blessings....

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...