I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Monday, August 31, 2009

Success Story #1

We received the most precious baby girl last week. She was 3 days old when we got her. Her name was Joy.

A friend reminded me today that most newborn babies are only beautiful to their moms. So, the picture just doesn't capture how precious she really was. Sweet and tiny, and such soft curly hair. And no, she did NOT really look like a baby monkey as my friend suggested.
(And as I am sitting here writing this, Jackie says, "Yeah, she kind of did.")


She was initially registered as an abandoned baby, but it turned out that the mom handed her to strangers in the hospital to hold while she went to "find money" to pay the bill. When she went to her house she found that her "husband" had taken everything they owned and moved out. She fainted and was too disoriented when she woke up. She apparently went back some
hours later looking for the baby who had since been taken to the police department and then to Nairobi Childrens Home.

Having Joy in our home for the short time was such a blessing! Since we have a staff of two ladies who care for the babies, I decided I could not ask them to wake every 3 hours through the night and still stay completely alert and awake all day to take care of the other babies. So....Joy stayed with me. It was my first time to have that round-the-clock responsibility for a newborn. Oh, what a different perspective that is! But I would not have traded it for the world! It was absolutely priceless.


Though it was hard to let Joy go, it was an overwhelming blessing to see God's work in progress! My first reaction to her mother being found was disappointment, but as God reminded me of the purpose of Haven of Hope a sense of fulfillment and completion rose up. I was able to see the whole picture of what He called me to do through this home......be a safe haven for babies until they are able to go live with the families the so greatly deserve to be with. He has called me to care for HIS children for a season, while they need a home. This is exactly the role we played. We were able to take in this sweet little baby and keep her until her real family was ready for her. Releasing Joy to her mother, grandmother and auntie was a precious gift, as was our time with her.

Jackie & Joy - Jackie has been a live saver the past few weeks! SO glad she is here to help!

Tracy - Jeremiah - Joy - Julia - Elizabeth
They aren't all smiling and happy, but they are all looking the same direction!



I would ask that you continue to pray for me, for the staff/volunteers, for the babies and for their future families as we care for them and prepare them for the lives they will transition into in the future.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...