I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Thoughts from an Outsider Looking In...

Hello, everyone. This is Kris. Trena has given me permission to take over her blog today. After visiting her in Kenya over the last couple of days, I just had to post on her blog with some of my experiences. And, considering I am up WAY TO EARLY today as my internal clock is getting reset, I thought this would be a perfect time!

Trena is adjusting amazingly well. Jared (one of the men she works with and is good friends with) is very complimentary of how she has adjusted so quickly to the language, the culture, driving, village life, etc. Although, he also agrees there are areas she can improve. Right, Jared?? ;-) Please pray for her as she continues to adjust to life in Kenya!

VILLAGE LIFE: Who would have thought that little Miss Trena would be showing me the ropes on how to survive village life with no electricity, no plumbing, truly Kenyan foods, and crazy roads. I can't believe Trena spent 11 days in the village!! Actually, I can....being immersed in a Kenyan village is like no other experience...the people are so welcoming, loving, and giving. Some people you meet are so gracious and thankful to God while others are in such despair. I can see how Trena has a heart for Kenyans and wants to share the Hope of Jesus Christ.
Things I will miss about the village
....a simple life, immediately praying in the main house after you arrived thanking God for a safe journey and asking for blessing over that house and family, the tree that I planted and the kids protecting it with sticks from the goats/cows, sleeping under a mosquito net, story-telling by lantern while taking tea in the evening (but only in English...sometimes the conversation drifts into Luo), uji (like pourage), stopping to speak to nearly everyone (or so it seems) you meet by car on the road,
Things I will NOT miss about the village
....story-telling in Luo, going to the bathroom in the bush, "spit baths", ugali, picking up as many people as you can fit in the car on the way back to the village, the roads getting to the village (although I hear they are much improved thanks to an effort from Odinga after the recent elections)

LIFE in NAIROBI for Trena: Nairobi is a crazy place! I don't know how Trena drives there! She even knows how to use her horn which is amazing. She was always too afraid/embarrassed to use her horn in Texas. In Nairobi, using your horn can be a friendly gesture...like just a little tap to let a bicycle or truck know you are about to pass. In the midst of chaos at roundabouts and intersections, there is somehow a pecking order and people gesturing to let people in. Oh, how I wish Texans would learn that skill! Although there are rare times when Kenyans are just as stubborn and will NOT let you in!! All in all, her car has been the best thing for her and her ministry there...meeting teams at the airport and around town, driving to village/remote areas where teams are, use of an extra car while at the village, etc. Although, gas in Kenya is very expensive...almost $7 per gallon...we just thought we had it bad here! Trena does have a small efficiency apartment which is in a good, safe part of town and somewhat centrally located to the areas she goes in Nairobi. I brought her things from home to make her apartment more cozy. Trena tries to speak in Swahili when appropriate and they are usually very surprised and encouraging when she does. She says she understands much better than she speaks it. I am very impressed and proud of her for what she knows although she doesn't give herself much credit....and she is learning some Luo for survival in the BVM office! And, Trena is quite the bargainer! Again...who would of thought?? But, I guess it is very much a way of life in Kenya and she is making her way nicely!
Things I will miss about Kenya....my friend, Stoney Tangawizi (like ginger ale but MUCH better), being able to buy any kind for produce from the comfort of your car (if you don't see it just ask), being able to buy a car phone charger from a guy walking next to your car in a "jam", Java House, taking tea, sunset in the Masai Mara watching a heard of elephants walk across the horizon, Jared and his chivalrous impression of Mr. Bush as he takes care of Laura (George Bush, that is)
Things I will NOT miss about Kenya...Kenyan English (they say it's the same language but sometimes I am not so sure), Kenyan time (how is an hour late on time??), mosquitos, not drying your hands after washing them, monkeys chasing after you near your tent in the Masai Mara, Jared and his LOVE for Obama (ugh!)

I suppose I have written enough for now. I may have another guest appearance in the near future...stay tuned. And, I will post pictures when I can.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...