I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Forgetful Mama....remembers!

As a kindergarten teacher, I was often on the opposite end of the forgetful mom who failed to send snacks to school on her kid's assigned snack day. You know, the end where the kids are. The kids who want their snacks. The kids who live for snack time, second only to recess time. But I could never really be upset with the moms who forgot (unless of course they were the moms who never sent anything back to school, regardless of what it was) because I knew that if I were a mom, I would probably be the one forgetting to send snacks.

Some people might think it would be easy to just have to remember one day out of a whole month. How hard could that be? Write it on your calendar. You are only inconvenienced that one day out of many. Not hard. Well, I'm the opposite of that. It's just one day - what are the chances that I would remember that one random day in the middle of many?! Not good.

Each day that I drop Julia off at Children's Day Out, I would think in my head, knowing that my day was the third Tuesday of the month. I even thought of it once over the weekend and I was so proud of myself that I was NOT forgetting! See? Just days away and it was not forgotten.

Well, fast forward two days and it had not been a blip on my radar since that brief flash of remembrance on Saturday morning, when I noted that I needed to go to the grocery store. My mom has to go to the allergist on Tuesday mornings so we usually leave a little early. Since her mishap last year, fainting immediately after getting her shot and ending up in the hospital for three weeks, recovering for over a year, they kinda make her stick to the "wait 30 minutes before leaving" rule. So, Tuesday mornings are kinda tight for us. And wouldn't ya know it....that blip on my radar shot out into a bright, blaring light - 30 minutes before go-time!

But did you catch that??? 30 minutes BEFORE, not after! I didn't forget!! Well, not technically! And, as Kris always points out, I put things off until the last minute, then pull them off in a rush and no one ever knows the difference. Yep, I did it. Without having to go to the grocery store. (Although I did go to planning-ahead-stocking-up-stash for what I am collecting to take back to Kenya and dug out a new jar or peanut butter.)

So, today's snack was individual peanut butter cups with fall sprinkles and pretzel sticks for snack, or "princel" sticks as Julia calls them.



Whew! Yep, I just had to document the fact that I DID remember snack day - Julia's very first (and only) snack day - that day I always feared I would forget!  I could be an American mom, afterall!

Oh yeah, and I am remembering right now that I have to bake cookies to take to her Thanksgiving feast on Thursday. Yes,  I am remembering. I will do that tomorrow. I will. I better.....I fly to Houston on Thursday and that would leave Nana scrambling to find cookies! Yes, I can do this. I can. Really. Watch....

~ Please, Lord, help me remember to bake cookies to send for Julia's first Thanksgiving feast! I don't want to be that mom, the one who sends her little child to the Thanksgiving feast without anything to contribute. Amen. ~
post signature

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...