I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What happened to the book? I did read it.

Remember the wonderful book, One Thousand Gifts that I blogged a lot about before I left Kenya? Well, I did read it, but I just did not write much about it...on the blog. My journal is full with thoughts as I processed through the depths and layers of the book. As I have thought about it a number of times over the past week and read through some things again, I just can't help but share. You know how it is when God gives you something so yummy, you just want to pass it on!
For those who did not see those earlier posts, the word of the book is eucharesteo, giving thanks. It is a powerful reminder of living in a state of gratitude, an encouragement to slow down and see God in every moment, and a support guide to help move from pain to peace. Don't we all ultimately want to find joy, to live in a state of complete fullness? Isn't that all part of the journey to know God more and have more of Him in our lives?

Eucharisteo leads us to joy by bringing us into the presence of God as we learn to recognize Him, His love and faithfulness, in everything around us.

This is when the simple becomes extraordinary,
the "little things" become remarkably significant,
and the ugly becomes beautiful.

When we begin living the pattern of recognizing the gifts He gives us every day ~ recognizing Him ~ we are able to see Him in our lives, know that He is here with us, know that He has been with us, and we can hold on to the promise that He will be with us.

God never promised us that every day day of our lives will be wonderful ~ but there will be wonder in every day. He does not promise that every day will be beautiful ~ but there is beauty in every day, even if it is an ugly-beautiful.

That is where the training of our hearts and minds brings us close to our Savior. Over time we can look and see that He was there. We saw a blessing (often times the ones in disguise), we gave thanks to Him for it, and we began to build a foundation of trust.

"Thanks is what builds trust." (p. 150)

Developing the pattern of recognizing God in our everyday lives is life changing. It is life changing because it is focus changing. Our focus is taken off of ourself and the struggles of life and changes them into thoughts of God, evidences of Him in our lives and surroundings, and opportunities for giving thanks.

That thanks, eucharisteo, is what leads us to joy, to complete fulfillment in Christ. It is a practice, an active choice we make. In life, we are always in active pursuit, always looking for contentment and fulfillment. But if we go backwards and rather than expecting to see this big, huge answer of ultimate fulfillment ~ GOD ~ with the beaming light or burning bush, and we begin to look for Him and recognize His hand in the little daily gifts and blessings, we will find Him. He is there, in the small things all around us. He is already there.

I write this as a reminder to myself. My surfacy reasons for needing to count my blessings while in Kenya are different from the reasons I count my blessings in America. But the heart of the reason is the same ~ I must recognize God's hand, actively alive all around me. And that is where I find peace and rest and a hope for tomorrow. I pray that you do, too.

Oh, there are SO many more wonderful things I want to share from One Thousand Gifts! Maybe I will get to them over time. Or even better - just go get the book and read for yourself! If you want to read my past posts about the treasures in this book, click on the link "Gifts" in the labels below.

post signature

1 comments:

Lisa said...

I love that you are CHOOSING to let God love you and being an encouragement to others in the process. It's easy to forget our gifts are designed especially for us and no one else. Thanks for the reminder!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...