I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Saturday, March 10, 2012

To give you a picture of Kenya life....

Some things I'll just never get. My boys go to public school. Public school is supposed to be "free" in Kenya. It's not. Tuition (like tutorials) are mandatory and you have to pay for them. My two Class 3 boys (3rd grade) have tuition every day. Instruction ends at 12:30 and then they have tuition for the rest of the afternoon. Students have to provide their own textbooks, all school supplies, and uniforms. Another added cost to the "free" public school eduction: school furniture. You have to provide your own desk and chair.
And when it breaks, the student has to take it home and have it repaired. So, Patrick had to bring his chair home and take it to a welder. Not a big deal, just another one of those, "really?" moments. And for some reason, Julia came in and was adamant about me coming outside and taking a picture of Patrick's chair, so I thought I would share it with you. Yep, it's always something around here.
post signature

2 comments:

BlueJekyll said...

That was one of the things I found so amazing when I toured some schools in Tanzania. One school was so proud of their desks and chairs that they had purchased with donor money. The principal said that before, they didn't have enough desks and students would always rush to get in the room first and there would be fights. I wish our students here in the states understood how privileged they are.

Trena said...

Very true. Even the most low income, underprivileged school is enormously blessed. One day, I will take pictures of my boys' school - and it is considered to be a "good" school - and it would blow some teachers' minds. I was a teacher and would have been horrified if I had to actually teach in an African school, and expect result like an American teacher. We (Americans) are blessed! God bless you for investing in those kids' lives & education.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...