I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Monday, March 5, 2012

Finally, a photo finish....TIK!

FPD...the rest of the story  -  And this was written and ready to go on Saturday night, and the power went out AGAIN. The whole day yesterday and then a surprise flash of it coming on, in the middle of the night, every light in the house and the uncalibrated tv with its loud static. So delayed once again, but here we go....

Really, I did finish and do them on the correct days. But I live in Africa and sometimes life feels as such. Internet went out last Saturday, nationwide. It came back this week but I was traveling and did not have good internet. You want to know why our internet went out in Kenya? A ship dropped its anchor and cut the fibre optic cable in the ocean off the coast. Isn’t that the most random thing ever? When my internet provider told us that it was a nationwide problem, I did not believe them. Until I read on a friend’s Facebook that her internet was out in Uganda because of problems in Kenya. Oh, Kenya. 
So, the finale ~ the completion ~ of my personal challenge to do something consistently for the entire month.... 
FPD #25: Green
Tinkerbelle in an avocado tree. Don’t you see that every day at your house? Julia is in a pretty big fairy phase. Our boys have become quite skillful at fairy play, particularly at hiding them in perfect fairy places. They are such good sports! I found this little surprise in the tree the other day as I was putting the table out under the tree for Maina’s birthday party. 
FPD #26: Night
A bit of a cheat picture. This was actually taken a few weeks before, on February 5th to be exact. My little girl is in love with the moon, and there were a few nights where the moon was just gorgeous. She loved it! And I love the fact that I took this picture myself! It was a total fluke. I tried again the following night and only got a blur of a yellowish moon or a bunch of black. 
FPD #27: Something I ate
A special treat - a turkey wrap. We were in Nairobi on the 28th. And Nairobi is the place we go to eat good food. And Java, which most visitors/mission teams love, gets quite old to Nairobians. But I am not a Nairobian anymore, so it is once again enjoyable And even more enjoyable ~ there are new things on the menu for the first time in a few years! The “new” items are not super new, but I was out of the country for six months so they are new to me. Wraps!!! A turkey wrap! Turkey meat is way too expensive for me to buy so this is lovely treat. What is crazy is that a few years ago I would not touch tomatoes or avocados, both of which this wrap was filled with....and it was delicious! 
A turkey wrap - definitely a surprise treat that I can’t wait to have the next time I go back to Nairobi! 
FPD #28: Money
This picture makes us look rich! Shillings. The largest bill in Kenyan shillings is 1000, which is about $12. Our rent is only a little over $500 per month, but we pay quarterly. And we pay in cash. TIK. This is my baby house manager and social worker counting out rent and monthly shopping money. And I think Kenyans like to count money. So, they count it at least twice, and always sort them into stacks of 10’s. And then count it again. And in the supermarket, they will probably count it again. I think they probably count it about seven times when you are standing in line at Tusky’s supermarket. Thankfully, our girls only counted twice and were on their way to pay our rent. 
FPD #29: Something I am listening to
I listened to this a lot for a few days, but it has since calmed down. This was the day we brought two new puppies and a mama German Shepherd to our house! Our big boy (12 month old Samson) wasn’t so sure about the puppies. And their mama, Ziva, wasn’t so sure about Sam and Lady who already live at our house! It was a bit of a three-ring circus around here for a few days, full of yelps, yaps, barks, growls, and tiny puppy whimpers. 

Now, challenge completed. Back to regularly scheduled blogging programing....


post signature

1 comments:

swonch said...

that's a good internet story- haven't heard that one but doesn't surprise me in the least. love all the pics- the turkey wrap!?? yum! also I love Ju's Tom's! and Samson is huge! crazy big for a year old!
miss you all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...