I'm so glad you found us! We love to share our story of what the Lord is doing in and through our ministry in Kenya. If you are a reader, please click the link on the right-hand side and "Follow Along!" And stop back by anytime! Karibu sana!

Thursday, March 5, 2009

GOATS!

Well, this is something more like what my brother should be doing than me, but here I am in Africa learning about animals! Who would ever have imagined I would be doing research and learning about goats!
This is our first goat. Her name is Faith. (I didn't name her.) She is an Alpine goat and she is expecting twins or triplets. It's not determined if she will go to Flomina or to Haven. It depends on where we are able to get a proper goat house built.



Speaking of proper goat houses, here are some things I've learned. In order for this breed (and maybe others, I don't know) to produce the best quality of milk, the houses should be elevated about two feet about the ground. Their milk quality, and even the taste, is better if the goats are not walking around in their own manure. Keeping them off the ground also reduces risk of diseases that can be contracted from bacteria on the ground.






We also want to build our goat houses to where they can be easily divided and goats can be separated.




Regarding their productivity, Alpine goats can produce 1 - 1 1/2 liters of milk per day, where a cow produces about 3 liters per day. Though a cow produces twice as much as a goat, it eats about ten times as much food each day.

Most Kenyans are not keen on the idea of goats. They want cows. It's a sign of wealth and prestige. We are usually fighting an uphill battle to get them to realize the value of dairy goats and the difference between these goats and the millions of random field goats that walk around all over the place. Most of our workers at Haven and Flomina are always pushing us to buy cows. It will be a huge feat when we actually help them realize the value of goats!

I have also learned a lot about breeding. I won't go into it, but it's more than I ever thought I would need to know. I feel like the conversations I've had with the goat lady are really conversations my brother should be having with his horse and cow friends.

Here are our other goats....and the goat lady.











The goat the lady is touching is our little buck. The one on the right is our female who can be bred in the next few months.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

hi my name is kaitlyn i was one of lisa luces students i want to say that song is butiful and that i have nevere known someone that is so willing to do something that how are in need of a nice kline place to stay you are amazing i hope that those children know that they are so lucky and that they know have someone how loves them in ther life thanks to you i hope you keep doing the right thing tell ms.luce i sed hi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...